page background

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Justifing

Over at Postpartum Progress Michelle wrote a post that is so good, I don't want to forget it, hence I am linking it here to my blog.

What she writes is true and very raw - why moms with PPD feel that we have to justify to others why we are "sick".  The justifying takes so much energy.

Her last paragraph though brings you full circle. I have copied it here because I want to come back and read it over and over on days that I relapse and hate life and hate what PPD did to me, and when I feel like life it unfair that I have to deal with lingering affects of PPD daily.

"So what do I do when faced with these situations? I hold on to the image of my family as we are now. Me sitting on the couch finally managing to get a sip out of the cup of tea that has long gone cold, cat perched on my wobbly baby belly doing her little kneading thing. My normally ever-so-serious-looking husband sitting across from me in an armchair with my two precious little ladies crawling all over him, all three squealing and laughing. Every so often one of my girls glimpses over and catches my eye, as if to say, “Maman, this is what it’s about.” And it’s then that I realize I shouldn’t need to justify. Our story as a family brings us to moments like these and to justify the route we took to get here only takes away from the contentment of these moments."

Here is the full blog post: Trying to Justify.

No comments: