page background

Friday, February 9, 2018

A year ago today, our world turned upside down.

We say often that the day we got the call about Josiah was probably the darkest day of our adoption journey to date. I remember it as if it was yesterday. I write about it today because my blog is a journey of my kids, a journal of adoption. And while Josiah's story is filled with alot of tears before he came, those ended the night he was born.

Tomorrow my son turns 1. But it was a Friday night last year that he as born. It goes like this:

After two failed matches in the time frame of 32 days, we were literally at our end. The tears, the uncertainty, the fear of moving forward - we didn't know how much more we could do. The emotions of that day still are very real to me - I could relive that moment still, it's still so fresh.

Rick had come home early, just spent from emotions. He found me sitting in the front room, on the couch, in tears. I had placed a call to the director of the agency we were with, hoping she might have some words to encourage our hearts. Even in the pain and hurt, we still trusted God that somewhere, some how there as a child for us.

As Rick and I starting talking, we were both crying, we were both angry at life, we were both just exhausted from the emotional journey our adoption had take us. We were literally decompressing everything in tears, wondering how much longer we could go on and how much longer our two kids could keep watching us.

And then my phone buzzes. I almost ignored it, but just quickly glanced down. Our old case worker with our old agency that had closed it doors had sent me a PM via FB. All it said was "Hi Amy. I need to call you. What's your number?"

I literally screamed and jumped up. I knew in that instant that this was the call for our child. There was no other reason. I hadn't talked to this gal in over a year.

She called me. It was 5:30pm. The call was simple: "A baby boy is being born as we speak. Would you like to adopt him?"

Within minutes, we said yes. Shocked was an UNDERSTATEMENT of the moment. Going from sheer sadness to extreme joy was weird. Going from being matched to two different girls to now being told we were having a son was weird. Weird is the best word to describe everything happening around us in a whirlwind.

We got a text as Josiah's birth mom was pushing and I remember sitting in Lucas' room with Rick and Ella and Lucas and seeing the first picture of our son when he as less than a minute old. Our first look at him.

On Sunday, Josiah will be dedicated to the Lord. I told Rick his dedication verse needs to be a verse that strongly emphasizes that Josiah was meant to be. That he was meant to be loved. That he was meant for our family after so many losses. That God had it all.

Isa 43:1 is his verse: "Fear not for I have redeemed you. I have called you by name. You are mine."

As Rick and I like to summarize Josiah's arrival into our family:

After two failed matches, a case worker from our old agency which closed our doors, FB's me asking for my number because earlier in the day she had placed another baby boy with another family because she couldn't remember our names, but then she remembers we are friends on Facebook. And then she calls us on the day where Rick and I were at our lowest moment and says, "hey a baby is being born." You just can't make this all up. It's too unreal. It's just God.


No comments: